Keep your cats safe: antifreeze poisoning

December is here and so is the cold weather! We’ve had the first nights of frost here in London and many people – though not cat sitters – are hoping for a white Christmas!

This time of year it’s important to be extra vigilant about antifreeze. Antifreeze tastes quite sweet which is why cats – and kids (!) – are drawn to it. However, even if your cat only ingests a small amount it can be fatal.

How to avoid accidental poisonings:

  • Never add antifreeze to garden water-features or ponds.
  • Always keep antifreeze in clearly labelled, robust, sealed containers, away from pets and their environment.
  • Clean up any spills immediately, no matter how small, and make sure pets cannot access the area until it is clean and safe.
  • Always dispose of antifreeze safely and responsibly. Contact your local authority for advice.

Signs of antifreeze poisoning:

  • Increased urination
  • Increased drinking
  • Vomiting
  • Depression
  • Lethargy (being abnormally sleepy)
  • Appearing drunk and uncoordinated
  • Seizures (fitting)
  • Abnormally fast heartbeat
  • Very fast, shallow breathing

If your pet shows any of these signs take them to a vet immediately.
The sooner veterinary treatment is received, the better their chances of survival.
If left untreated, pets can suffer and may die.

antifreeze-campaign-poster_web_1024x.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

* From our partners at International Cat Care

Sharing is caring!

Posted in All About Cats, Health Tagged with: , , , , ,